Total Pageviews

Monday, April 5, 2010

Mi Yeok Guk 미역국

It's been awhile! But it's because I have been so busy! This blog is for the working ladies out there who just want to have a nice meal at home, not become a professional cook =)

Ingredients
I forgot to measure officially when I made this, so I am eyeballing, sorry!

dried miyuk (seaweed)
2 table spoons kuk kan kang
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 tb sesame oil
4 pieces of short rib
4 cups of water

This is how I make yuksu - everyone has a different way... some people use chicken broth instead  too.

You can use any type of meat you want - I had some short ribs left over from making kal bi jeem so I used those.   I put the ribs in the water and brought it to a boil.  I let it boil about 20 minutes to drain the blood - I took the pot off the heat and rinsed the meat and pot.  I put in ribs in water again and brought the pot to a boil, but on low heat. I let it cook for about 8-9 hours to get the broth flavor.


I leave the pot in the refrigerator overnight so the fat can solidify on top.  The next morning, open the pot and you will see a white layer of fat - throw that out!




So, when you are ready to make it:

Put about three small handfuls of dried mi yuk in water for about 3-4 hours.  

Don't worry if you don't think it's enough! It expands~!


Drain the miyuk and squeeze all the water out.  

In a pan heat a little olive oil and start to fry the miyuk in about 1 teaspoon of sesame oil on low heat.  Add the liquid only from the broth (not the meat) and bring to a medium boil.  

Then take the meat (from the broth you had made) and marinade it with 2 tablespoons of kuk kan jang, 1 tb sesame oil and 1 tp of garlic.  Mix together and then put it on top of the miyuk broth!




Makes two servings



Or good addition to the rest of your meal






No comments:

Post a Comment