Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chicken

1 cornish hen
1 peeled onion
1 peeled ginger
8-10 pieces of garlic

This is just a one off recipe for chicken - you can use the finished product in many dishes.  I used it to make yaki soba but you can also use it for chicken soup, kal guk soo, fried rice etc

I had the cornish hen frozen so I unfroze it first.  Make sure to wash it out


I decided to use my rice/pressure cooker since I was using it for yaki udon.  If I were making a broth I'd probably use the stove and cook it for about 4-5 hours to make the nice chicken broth!

I added the onion and chicken to the rice cooker

I have this rice cooker and I have to say - it is one of my favorite purchases ever.  it is pricey for a rice cooker, but it makes the rice SO soft and yummy and keeps it twice as long as my other (regular, non pressure) cooker.  Also makes things like kal bi jeem etc!



IH Rice Cooker LJP-HC073VE(7 Cups)


Ok back to the chicken!  Add the peeled ginger and garlic



Now if you are using the stove because you don't have a pressure cooker, put all this in your pot and fill with water to cover everything.  Cook on low heat for about 5-6 hours.  

My rice cooker had a steam setting - but it defaults to about 25 minutes.  I did this twice. And then afterwards this is how the chicken looked! All soft!


Throw the vegetables out.  I washed the chicken and then broke it apart - I separated out the bones and threw away the dark meat (my preference)




I saved the meat in a container to use the next day.  I saved the bones in case I wanted to make chicken broth later too





No comments:

Post a Comment