Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pork Bossam 보쌈

1 pound of pork (shoulder, belly etc)
1 whole onion
1 ginger (peeled)
1 sliced jalapeno
10-12 cloves of garlic
1 TB soybean paste
dash of pepper
2-3 scallions
1 teaspoon of coffee
Spicy dduk side (below, optional)
Pureed kimchee (optional)
Lettuce leaves
Samjjang for dipping
Grilled garlic (optional)

I made this once using shoulder and forgot to take pictures until the end! Then I made it again but used pork loin (I usually use shoulder or belly, but they didn't have any so I used pork loin in the first set of pictures)

First wash the pork and then put it in water on the stove to boil.  I added the coffee and brought the water to a boil for about 30 minutes to get (for lack of a better work) gunk out!





It's going to boil for about 30 minutes.  While it's boiling get the veggies ready.  I just peeled the onion and cut the ends off the scallion.  I used this strainer for the rest of the veggies but you can use tea bags too.





After thirty minutes take it off the stove and throw away the water and wash the pork


I switched to my Le Creuset pot for the rest of this.  Now I put the pork and veggies into the pot to boil again



Add the soy bean paste and dash of pepper


And cover with water and start to boil on low/medium heat.  I boiled it probably for about 6-8 hours over the course of two days.  Most people only do it for 3 hours if you want it like the traditional bo ssam, but I was making mine a bit different.  So you can cook it less if you like!

When you finally are ready to prepare it to eat, throw out everything but the pork for the last hour.

I pureed kimchee in a food processor to use with the pork


I also made some spicy dduk to eat with it (optional)
If you want to, mix a marinade of 2 TB soy sauce, 2 TB kochujang, 1 tb sesame oil, 1 minced garlic, dash of pepper, dash of ginger powder, 1 tb sugar, 1 tb kochugaru.  I heated a pan, added some dduk with the marinade and cooked it while waiting on the pork



One thing that is hard is that once things like dduk are off the stove, it doesn't take long for them to cook down! I bought this Staub pan at Willams Sonoma and it's AWESOME.  I let it heat on the stove while cooking other things (nothing on it) to warm it up. Once we are ready to eat, I transfer the dduk to the pot and it's still sizzling on the table!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/staub-6-inch-round-gratin-baking-dish_51/?pkey=ccookware-staub|ckwstbred



Keep in mind all this is going on while the pork is cooking so make sure to time everything.  Before the dduk is done take the pork out. It should be really tender now... you can cut / tear it apart and throw out any fat

(back to when I used pork shoulder ha)


Now you can see what I mean by the difference - most times bossam is still "put together" ie like sam kyup sal pieces just  boiled.  The above is more shredded, so it's a matter of preference.

Then you are ready to eat!





I had to post this 2nd version.  I made it for about 6 people and used a 6 pound pork!

No comments:

Post a Comment